Lincoln Christ's Hospital School

Lincoln Christ's Hospital School
Educating in Lincoln since 1090

  • 5
  • banner 66 1
  • LCHS banner
  • LCHS banner
  • 2 resized
  • 3 resized
  • LCHS banner

 

 WHO’S WHO AT LINCOLN CHRIST’S HOSPITAL SCHOOL

 Tributes to:

 Professor Charles Garton

 Miss Marjorie Calladine

 Sir Neville Marriner

 From the Garton Archive at Lincoln Christ’s Hospital School

 Occasional Paper No 4

 by

 Peter Harrod

November 2011

 As you wander around Lincoln Christ’s Hospital School, as a teacher, pupil, director, governor or visitor you may wonder about some of the names displayed in various locations. Three of these include Professor Charles Garton, Miss Marjorie Calladine and Sir Neville Marriner.

This Paper is a tribute to these people who have, in their different ways, been worthy of receiving prominent recognition in the School.

Professor Charles Garton

Charles_Garton

One of the most interesting rooms in the School is the Garton Archive, named after Charles Garton, and situated next to the Oyler Room on the left of the corridor leading past the dining area from Reception. This room contains the archives from each of the four schools which amalgamated in 1974 to form LCHS; Lincoln School, Lincoln Christ’s Hospital School for Girls, Myle Cross Secondary School for Girls and St Giles Secondary Boys’ School. It was officially opened on 13th December 2004.

Charles Garton was a distinguished pupil at Lincoln School from 1937 to 1944. He was described by Mr GW Franklin, Headmaster of Lincoln School, in a letter to King’s College, Cambridge as ‘...quite definitely the best brain I have met during six years of headmastering.’ Charles was a Christ’s Hospital Exhibitioner in 1937, a school prefect and sixth form librarian in 1943-4, and Captain of the School in 1944. After serving in the Royal Navy, where he worked in Intelligence, he entered King’s College, Cambridge on a Scholarship, and graduated in 1949 with a First Class Honours degree in Classics, with a double distinction in Greek and Latin verse composition, and several other scholarship awards. After Cambridge, he pursued postgraduate studies in Greek Tragedy at the Universities of Basle and Rome. He was awarded his MA (Hons) (Cantab) in 1953.

Charles began his teaching career in 1951as Assistant Lecturer in Classics at the University of Hull, and in 1953 was appointed Lecturer in Classics at the University of Durham Northern Division, which later became the University of Newcastle upon Tyne. In 1965 Charles emigrated to the USA, taking up a post in Classical Studies at the State University of New York at Buffalo, and gaining full Professorship in 1972. He remained in post until his retirement in 1991.

During his long and distinguished career Charles was active on many committees and examining bodies, and a member of many societies. He read papers to learned bodies in the UK and the USA, some of which were later published. His other published work included several books, poems, articles, reviews and monographs, and he was also in demand as a translator and editor. He was one of the founding editors of ‘Arethusa’, and its first editor-in chief. One of his major publications is Personal Aspects of the Roman Theatre, published in 1972 by Hakkert, Toronto. On page 208, Charles recalls his studies in poetry when he was a pupil at Lincoln School in the early 1940s. Several of his poems are in fact published in ‘The Lincolnian’ magazine, and the following contribution appears in the December 1940 edition of ‘The Lincolnian’. It was written by Charles when he was in the ‘Remove Classsics’ form, when he would be about 16 years old.

The poem surely reveals a fertile and imaginative mind, and a feel for alliteration and other poetic techniques:

THOUGHT

Alone in the mountain, alone in the plain,

Alone in the desert, alone on the sea,

Alone on the ocean, alone in the sky

With nought between Nothing and me—

The solitude boundless, the space infinite,

The undisturbed wail of the wandering wind

The might of the Mindless, the Natural Realm,

The life without breath, and the World---

The apparently orderless, well-arranged scheme,

And careless (how careful!) the winds and the rains,

That cause me to search for the source of the power

By which Nature seemingly reigns:

But Nature is vassal, for she obeys laws,

And God is the Source and the Cause.

In his Curriculum Vitae, Charles’ ‘recreations’ are listed as literature; local and educational history; family history and genealogy; and study of people. This brief summary scarcely does justice to one of his life-long pastimes, which has been to study, record and classify the long and complex history of Lincoln School.

In fact Charles spent four decades collecting a variety of documents, photographs and other materials which relate to the school. In an interview with the ‘Lincolnshire Echo’ in 2004 he confessed that he had hunted in places as far apart as Wigan and Australia in his quest for information about the history of his alma mater. The collection includes books written by alumni and about alumni; school magazines; old text books and notebooks from former pupils; photographs of the school, the staff, pupils and sports teams; school uniforms and colours; log books and registers; concerts, plays and sports programmes and prize-givings; minutes of governors’ and other meetings; legal documents; and other miscellaneous items. It is a treasure trove of information which provides a window on the 900 year complex history of Lincoln School. In addition to the Garton ‘ex libris’ collection, Charles has also catalogued every member of staff and every pupil for whom there is information. Moreover, he has compiled a ‘Summary Honours Board’ in which the names and accomplishments of former pupils, staff and headmasters are celebrated. More recent names include Old Lincolnians Steve Race, Sir Neville Marriner and John Hurt. Another striking feature of the Garton Archive is a collection of 16th century leather-bound religious and medical books, which have been housed at Lincoln School since the late 19th century. It is hardly surprising that Charles, in his speech at the Opening of the Archive, described himself as a ‘monomaniac’! He defined an archive as ‘documentary sources for history’, and quoting Erasmus, expressed the hope that the Garton Archive would ‘...keep hold of the deepest stratum of our our identity.’

In his retirement, Charles lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA with his wife Hilary, who has been accorded the title of Honorary Member of Lincoln School for her continuous and immeasurable support for her husband’s researches. Charles gave a considerable monetary donation to the school’s archive, and it is fitting that it is named ‘The Garton Archive’ as a tribute to his tireless work.

Anyone wishing to visit the Archive should contact either Chris Williams, the Honorary Archivist, or Peter Harrod, the Archive Assistant at LCHS.

Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Professor Charles Garton examines one of his documents on a visit to the Garton Archive from his home in Michigan USA

Miss Marjorie Calladine

The plaque on the wall of the Calladine Building at LCHS celebrates the generous bequest in 1994 that ‘made a dream come true’.

Miss_Marjorie_Caladine

Marjorie Calladine was born in Lincoln in 1914, and lived for much of her life in Cambridge Avenue, where she began her education in a small private school called The Laurels Boarding and Day School. In 1924 she moved to the Clasketgate Wesleyan School, from where she was awarded a scholarship in 1926 to Lincoln Christ’s Hospital Girls’ High School. The record of the awards in the Lincolnshire Echo suggests that she was fourth in order of merit, and the letter confirming the award was signed by the Clerk, Mr Russell Race, father of two eminent Lincolnians Philip and Steve.

Marjorie was a pupil at the High School until 1933. She was a member of St Hugh’s House, which she represented on the games field, and she later played for the second XI hockey team. She took her School Certificate in 1932, and was awarded Credits in English, History, French, Mathematics and Chemistry. This achievement exempted her from the London Matriculation, and qualified her for entry into teacher-training. Her final school record, signed by the Headmistress Miss Savill in July 1933, described her work to be of a good standard with particularly high standards in Divinity.

Marjorie trained as a teacher at the Lincoln Training College, now called Bishop Grosseteste University College, from 1933-35. She trained for the Senior age-range, and completed a long essay on ‘The Importance of Lincoln as an Industrial and Market Centre’, supervised by Miss Butcher who later became Principal of the College. Miss Constance Stewart, Principal at the time, signed her testimonial which described her teaching as ‘...clear and definite and she obtains a good response from the children. She has a happy, open personality, with some initiative and force of character and she should do very useful work in school’.

Most of Marjorie’s teaching career was spent in Lincoln, and despite her ‘senior school’ training, she is remembered as a lively and much respected teacher of young children at St faith’s Infant School, and later at Mount Street School in the 1950s. One of her former pupils has described her as ‘...quite the best teacher I ever had’, and another as ‘...the prettiest teacher who ever taught me’. In the early 1960s she left Lincoln to teach at a multi-racial school in Leyton, Essex, where she taught until her retirement in 1976.

In addition to her many other attributes, Marjorie possessed considerable musical gifts. She was a member of the Bailgate Methodist Church choir, and used her skills as a pianist in her long teaching career. She also played the violin in a Lincoln amateur orchestra, and was known in the city as a singer who gave solo recitals. In 1956 she was awarded a Certificate of Merit as a soprano soloist at the West Lindsey Music and Drama Festival, and enjoyed similar successes at the Lincoln Music Festival and other local competitions. She also played a major role in the Schools’ Dance Festival for the celebration of the Queen’s visit to Lincoln in 1958.

Marjorie clearly enjoyed an active and fulfilling retirement in Essex. She travelled abroad quite widely, and continued to use her musical talents in the local Methodist church and community. She was a keen and regular swimmer, and an enthusiastic member of the Women’s Institute. She suffered ill-health in 1984, and a severe stroke in 1988 greatly restricted her activities. After several years spent in hospital and a nursing home, she died on Palm Sunday 1991. The funeral service was held at the Methodist Church, North Weald, Epping, and her ashes were buried in Canwick Road Cemetery in Lincoln.

In a tribute to Marjorie for the Governors of LCHS in 1991, Joyce Skinner writes;

The Foundation gives thanks for the life of Marjorie Caladine and is most grateful for her generous bequest, and is glad to know that she also remembered in her will the Bailgate Methodist Church and the Lincoln High School Old Girls’ Association of which she was an early shareholder. Such generous thanksgiving for such blessings is in the best tradition of Dr Richard Smith and his Foundation.

Marjorie Calladine accompanies children at St Faith’s Infant School in an Open Day concert in 1951. The photograph is taken form a collection of documents and memorabilia formally owned by Dr Joyce Skinner CBE, an old girl of Lincoln Christs’s Hospital Girls’ HighSchool, and Principal of Bishop Grosseteste College from 1962-67. 

 

Sir Neville Marriner

Sir_Neville_Marriner

Walking around the school, you will have noticed The Marriner Room, which acts as a gateway to the sixth form area. You may also have been wondering who it was named after. Sir Neville Marriner was in fact a pupil at Lincoln School from 1934-1940, and a comtemporary of Charles Garton, who was some three years younger. He was born in Lincoln in 1924, and after leaving school he attended the Royal College of Music in London, and also studied at the Paris Conservatoire. His main instrument was the violin, and in the early stages of his career, following a year’s teaching at Eton College, he performed with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and the London Symphony Orchestra. During that period he played under such conducting legends as Toscanini, Furtwangler, Cantelli and Karajan. He also played chamber music with the Martin String Quartet, and later founded the Jacobean Ensemble with a colleague. Earlier, as a student, he played the Max Bruch Violin Concerto with the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra at the Corn Exchange in Lincoln, which was used as a concert hall in those days. His potential as a violinist was recognised in the July 1938 edition of ‘The Lincolnian’. The School Notes recorded that, ‘N Marriner continues to do well as a violinist; he was second with 87 marks in the open violin class at the recent Skegness Music Festival’. The July 1941 edition celebrated his being awarded the ‘Morley’ Scholarship at the Royal College of Music for the second successive year. I regret to report, however, that his name also appears in the prefects’ detention book during his time at Lincoln School! On one occasion he was given detention for ‘...fooling in the library and cheek after repeated warnings’! His sense of mischief is also illustrated in the 8th April 1999 edition of The Times. During the 1950s when he was a young musician, Sir Neville recalled that he ‘…larked about with the best of them’, and bombed the London Symphony bus with a load of flour bags from a friend’s Tiger Moth plane on the road from Brussels to Ostend! Oh, Sir Neville!

Sir Neville’s musical career took on a new dimension when, after studying conducting with the eminent maestro Pierre Monteux in the USA, he founded the Academy of St Martin-in-the Fields Chamber Orchestra in 1959 with a group of young string players, who styled themselves as ‘refugees from conductors’! He began as its concertmaster, but later became its conductor for many years. During that time he made many recordings with the orchestra, including a huge discography with EMI. His recording repertoire ranged from the Baroque era to twentieth century British music. Some of his recordings (vinyl 33rpm records) are stored in the Garton Archive at LCHS. In 1971, Sir Neville brought his orchestra to Lincoln for a performance in the Cathedral of works by Handel, Elgar and Bartok, organised by the North Kesteven Music Club. For his debut in opera he conducted Mozart’s Marriage of Figaro at the Aix-en-Provence Festival, and went on to work for several years with the Opera de Lyon.

Sir Neville is known throughout the world for the quality of his music-making and recordings. He was the first Music Director of the Los Angeles Symphony Orchestra from 1969-86, and went on to become Music Director of the Minnesota Symphony Orchestra, and later the Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra. He was also in demand as a guest conductor around the world. Following his success in supervising the Mozart selection for the 1984 film, ‘Amadeus’, the original soundtrack recordings of which are housed in the Garton Archive, Neville Marriner was knighted for his services to music. He was also awarded the Ordre des Arts et Lettres by the French Minstry of Culture, and was honoured by the Austrian Music Academy for the excellence of his Mozart recordings. The Academy of St Martin-in-the Fields Orchestra is in fact the most comprehensively recorded chamber orchestra in the world, and if you tune in to Radio 3 or Classic FM for any length of time, the chances are that you will hear one of his recordings being played. Apparently he recorded all five Mozart horn concertos twice in one week! In an interview during which he described how he selected musicians for his orchestra, he asked himself three questions; ‘Can they play?’ ‘Can they be absorbed into the orchestra’s style?’ and ‘Can we live with them?’ Apparently he believed the last one to be the most important. In an article in The Times (8th April 1999), he is quoted as saying, ‘If they are miserable devils they don’t get invited back!’ The Orchestra received a Queen’s Award for Export Achievement in 1993 for its successful performances throughout the world.

In 1996 Sir Neville returned to Lincoln to open a concert series at the Central Methodist Church, where he conducted the Lincoln Symphony Orchestra once again. His father, Herbert, had been organist and choirmaster at the church, and his mother had been a member of the choir. Other local musicians appearing included Christopher Newport, principal horn-player with the London Mozart Players, his pianist brother Mark, and flautist Ruth Morley. It is fitting that Sir Neville was awarded the Lincoln Civic Award in 1988, and as a result of a chance meeting at the Guildhall, had a rose named after him, described in the Lincolnshire Echo (12th February 1997) as ‘...beautiful, subtly coloured, sweetly-smelling and very elegantly shaped’. The rose was presented to him by his orchestra as a special present to celebrate his 70th birthday. He was also awarded an Honorary Doctor of Music degree from the University of Hull at the Bishop Grosseteste College graduation ceremony in July 1998.

Sir Neville conducts the orchestra during a visit to Lincoln Christs’s Hospital School in 1993.

As I write, Sir Neville Marriner is now 87, and has taken a back seat with the orchestra. Earlier this year (2011) he retired as Music Director after more than fifty years of service, and handed over the baton to the distinguished violinist Joshua Bell. As one of the most celebrated alumni of Lincoln School he joins an impressive list of famous Lincoln musicians. These include Willam Byrd, composer, organist and choir master at Lincoln Cathedral in the sixteenth century; Steve Race, who enjoyed a long and successful career with the BBC, and who formed his first jazz band at Lincoln School with a young Neville Marriner in his charge; soprano Jane Eaglen, well-known for her Wagnerian roles of Isolde and Brunnhilde; the celebrated conductor Reginald Goodhall, known in particular for his conducting of the operas of  Wagner and Benjamin Britten.

A rich legacy indeed as LCHS celebrates its distinguished past and embraces its exciting future!

Sources

Relevant issues of ‘The Lincolnian’ magazine and the ‘Lincoln Girls’ High School Magazine’

A tribute to Miss Marjorie Caladine, by Joyce Skinner, September 1991, for the Governors of LCHS (the section on Miss Caladine owes much to this tribute)

Professor Charles Garton’s records in the Garton Archive

The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. Macmillan 1980

(copy presented to the LCHS library by Sir Neville Marriner)

Wikipedia, and other on-line material

‘Winner at Home and Abroad’, an article about Neville Marriner in the Daily Telegraph, 22nd April 1993

Article on Sir Neville Marriner in The Times, 8th April 1999

Article on Sir Neville Marriner in the Lincolnshire Echo, 12th February 1997

About the author

Peter Harrod is Archive Assistant and a Foundation Governor at LCHS

He was a pupil at Lincoln School from 1952-1959

Peter Harrod

November 2011